Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? TCC registered to wrong 'entity'

Dec
It's been a long time since I did a re-install and I've forgotten a lot, sigh. Following a crash and restore, I've re-installed TakeCommand/ TCC and successfully re-registered. TakeCommand thinks it's registered not to me by the usual firstname/lastname moniker, but to the name of my laptop (a name not even a mother would love :-) I've never run across this before. How is the name changed?

In the past I occasionally edited TCMD.INI manually. Just now I notice that there are two of them.

C:\ProgramData\JP Software\Take Command 20.0 — and —
C:\Users\All Users\JP Software\Take Command 20.0

These seem to be updated simultaneously when the Option dialog is closed with changes. If only one of the INI files is edited manually, is it possible to edit the wrong one and have the changes not "take"?

(TCC v.20, if it matters. Yeah I know — I'm way behind schedule in upgrading.)

It's not your fault, and not an error. Current versions are registered to the machine, not to an individual. Working As Designed.

Hmm. Well, this isn't a current version (it's v.20). But so it goes, I guess.

On to the TCMD.INI question — or is it no longer a good idea to edit the .INI file manually (without editing both INI file versions)?

Hmm. Well, this isn't a current version (it's v.20). But so it goes, I guess.

On to the TCMD.INI question — or is it no longer a good idea to edit the .INI file manually (without editing both INI file versions)?
"Echo %_ININAME" will tell you which one it's actually using.

Thanks. I had totally forgotten about %_ininame.

Now while getting TCC set up again I've encountered something else odd. At first the Everything tool was working fine. I don't know just what changed to make this happen, but Everything has now stopped working. I set its service to launch when the machine reboots. I can tell that it at least tries — there's a request for permission to run it and I answer in the affirmative.

But: nothing. I've launched it from the command line and typed a search string manually ("*.btm") — that should find quite a bit of stuff. But there's no result. I've forced it to rebuild its index. Still no search hits.

Everything's INI entry is as it should be (setting is "Yes") and if there are other Option settings I need to tweak, what would they be?

The only major thing that changed between the time that it worked and when it stopped working: I installed ActiveState Perl 5.26. But surely that wouldn't have gotten into Everything's way...would it?

I downloaded the full distribution package for Everything and installed it. Now it works. I don't know what caused the version that ships with TCMD to fail.