Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Strange Line Wrapping Behavior

Aug
I have a 3-system license. When a command line wraps on two of my systems, everything's normal. But on one of my systems, the wrapping skips a line, like this:

Image38.jpg

When I then go to edit this line, such as changing v3 to v4, the editing occurs on the line that is left blank:

Image40.jpg

To repeat, this only happens on one of my three systems. All are running Version 27.00.18 x64.

BTW, it doesn't matter how wide my TC window is. The behavior is the same for narrow and wide widths. And as far as I can tell, all of the options are set the same on all three systems, but of course I could be missing something. This anomaly doesn't stop me from using the command line with long file names, but it is inconvenient and seems rather strange. Any suggestions for resolving the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jesse Heines

I think I finally understand how to reproduce this one. When InputColors is set to the defaults, long lines recalled from the command history, or pasted from the clipboard, get an extra line inserted:

option1.png

longline1.png

But when InputColors is set to anything other than the default, the issue goes away:

option2.png

longline2.png

So, if I'm right, until Rex gets this sorted, the workaround is just to set InputColors to something other than the default. Even white on black, if that's your druthers.

Thank you for your reply, Charles, but this didn't solve the problem for me.

You are certainly correct that it has something to do with how one does the command entry. If I type the long file names, you are correct that there is no blank line. But even if I change the input colors as you did, filename completion still generates the blank line when I use file name completion.

That is, if I type
Code:
ren ReunionApparel_HatReservationForm_Confirmation_v2.php ReunionApparel_HatReservationForm_Confirmation_v3.php
there is no blank line. But if I generate that rename command by typing
Code:
ren *hatres[TAB] *hatres[TAB]
using the TAB key to complete the file name, the blank line appears.

Once again, the really weird thing is that this only happens on one of my three systems, and they're all virtually clones of each other (at least as far as TakeCommand) is concerned.

I think I finally understand how to reproduce this one. When InputColors is set to the defaults, long lines recalled from the command history, or pasted from the clipboard, get an extra line inserted:

<snip>

So, if I'm right, until Rex gets this sorted, the workaround is just to set InputColors to something other than the default. Even white on black, if that's your druthers.
I don't know how you worked that one out Charles, but well done! That workaround stops the blank lines appearing on my system too.

Jesse - after you set and apply the inputcolor changes you have to quit and restart TCC for them to take effect - did you try that? Also there's another thread on this problem which you'll find here.

Whoa! You guys are incredible. Really. Thank you so much. I had this problem in Version 26, too, but I never thought to post it here. Stupid me. I though sure that it was a setting of some sort and never thought that it was a bug. I now see that I was wrong, that it is a bug, and I'm very impressed that Charles was able to track it down to at least identify its source and come up with a work-around. "Well done" indeed! :) Thanks a million guys. This is why I've been using your products for over 20 years! And Rex, do contact me when you're next in the Boston area. If the pandemic's over by then, I'll be happy to buy you dinner again. :) Until then, keep safe. -- Jesse

Nice one, Charles! Where does the ruler at the top of the tab come from?

Nice one, Charles! Where does the ruler at the top of the tab come from?

That's a plugin. I thought the number of columns might be relevant. I no longer think so.

After further experimentation, it looks like turning on ANSI colors may also sidestep the issue. I normally have both ANSI colors and custom input colors, which is probably why I never encountered this issue before.

I attached a ruler and line numbers to keystrokes. I can't capture a video of a console window so here's an MP4 (zipped and attached) of my Windows Terminal version in action.

Attachments

• ruler.zip
    232.6 KB · Views: 210
With the Windows Game Bar, yeah?

Attachments

• ruler2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 206
Cool!

In both versions, console and Windows Terminal, I used a lot of control sequences.

Does the game bar work for you with a console?

It works. It only captures the client area, not the window frame, so it looks a little odd. I guess that's probably by design.

It works. It only captures the client area, not the window frame, so it looks a little odd. I guess that's probably by design.
Hmmm! Here, the game bar won't even appear (with Win+G) if a console has focus. I only see the little blue spinning wheel for a second ... nothing more.

How do you do that, Charles? Are you drawing to the TCMD tab?

1612323183611.png

It's like an OSD window which sits on top of the tab window. Possibly a dumb solution -- I'm not very familiar with this kind of Windows programming -- but it seems to work and does what I want.