Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

64 bit TCCLE appears to crash when opening tcc.exe from within tcc.exe window

Aug
Hello,
I have a very unusual issue going on and was looking for some advice. I believe it's very likely something to do with my OS/environment. I recently noticed (although I don't believe the issue recently developed) if I open a second tcc.exe window from within a tcc.exe window on my Windows 2012 Server, I see an error indicating: TCC LE has stopped working with the following detail:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: tcc.exe
Application Version: 13.0.6.77
Application Timestamp: 5189c0ad
Fault Module Name: StackHash_432c
Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.17313
Fault Module Timestamp: 5507a832
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: PCH_63_FROM_ntdll+0x0000000000002BAA
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.272.7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 432c
Additional Information 2: 432c3e6e2f39afffc220ad38db2e3de4
Additional Information 3: e97b
Additional Information 4: e97be78d1e36f808c1ef74afcc397ad8

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any troubleshooting recommendations? I do not have this problem when I test TCC LE under a similarly configured Windows 7 PC. The issue is repeatable. Thanks!
--TL

This might have something to do with DEP (data execution prevention). Go to ControlPanel ... System ...Advanced ... Performance ... Settings ... DEP (at least that's where it is for me). If DEP is on for everything, try exempting TCC from it.

Thanks for the response. I found the setting and it is currently enabled for all applications. When I tried to add TCC.EXE to the exception list I got the following message: You can not set DEP attributes on 64-bit executables. So I wasn't able to take that any further.

Hello there, just a small update to my issue: I'm also seeing this happen on a Windows 10 installation where I previously did not have TCC LE. So as of now for me Win 7 is fine, Win 10 and Windows 2012 Server crash if I attempt to run a second tcc.exe from within a tcc.exe window. Thanks all. --TL

Good morning,

Both Windows 2012 Server and Windows 10 allow me to open a second TCC.exe without error when started with "tcc /i". Further, it looks like "tcc /iipx" still crashes but "tcc /is" does not. I am currently not using a TCSTART or TCEXIT. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum btw. --TL

Good morning,

Both Windows 2012 Server and Windows 10 allow me to open a second TCC.exe without error when started with "tcc /i". Further, it looks like "tcc /iipx" still crashes but "tcc /is" does not. I am currently not using a TCSTART or TCEXIT. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum btw. --TL

I'm a little dubious about your not having a TCSTART -- I suspect you're executing one and not knowing it. Note that TCC/LE will first look for a TCSTART.*; if it can't find one it will look for 4START.* (for compatibility with hard-core 4NT users who refuse to rename their files).

Good morning,

Hi Rex,
You are definitely on the right track. I do have a 4START.BTM which contains:
@echo off
setdos /i-list
setdos /i-log
setdos /d"FILES.BBS"

When the above is in either C:\4START.BTM or C:\TCSTART.BTM, my attempts to open a second TCC shell fail as previously described. If I remove the 4START/TCSTART BTM and try again, the subsequent shell(s) open without error! Thank you for the keen troubleshooting. Anything particularly bad in the above set of commands?

Tim