Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

elevated plugin questions

Jan
Hi Charles

I tried out your elevated plugin and have some questions about:

1) I thought that an invalid PID give always a -1 but that isn't the case. Is this WAD?

2) It seems that a check in unelevated tcc prompt can't resolve (some) elevated processes. One example was the smss.exe (Windows Sitzungs Manager // Windows session manager). There I receive correctly a 1 from an elevated tcc prompt but -1 from unelevated ... is this WAD?

Thank you for your work and greetings!

I tried out your elevated plugin and have some questions about:

1) I thought that an invalid PID give always a -1 but that isn't the case. Is this WAD?

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the lowest two bits of a PID are ignored. This is a Windows implementation detail, and may change in future versions of Windows.

2) It seems that a check in unelevated tcc prompt can't resolve (some) elevated processes. One example was the smss.exe (Windows Sitzungs Manager // Windows session manager). There I receive correctly a 1 from an elevated tcc prompt but -1 from unelevated ... is this WAD?

This probably means that the plugin can't open the process with even PROCESS_QUERY_LIMITED_INFORMATION rights. It happens sometimes; I don't know why.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the lowest two bits of a PID are ignored. This is a Windows implementation detail, and may change in future versions of Windows.

I've seen instances of Windows returning some Process info for a while after the process has exited; can't repro it at the moment.

This probably means that the plugin can't open the process with even PROCESS_QUERY_LIMITED_INFORMATION rights. It happens sometimes; I don't know why.

Your plugin, unelevated, can't target any SYSTEM process ... no surprise.

1) Ahh, I didn't know that about the last two bits of a PID, that explains it, ok. I meant NOT that with remaining PIDs BUT interesting info, Vince!

2) Ok, Charles, all right, thanks (also for your info again, Vince, which is nothing than logical).