1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting a process blocks TCC window...

Discussion in 'Support' started by ThomasH, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ThomasH

Hi,

when I start an application which runs in its own window, the control returns to the prompt, as expected. Example: putty.

I wanted start several of these in a script file. But when I start the very same 'putty' command in a *.bat, *.cmd or a *.btm for that matter, the process opens window and works, but the control is not being passed further to the next command. I cannot even interrupt such a script at all, despite a "break on" command in it! Only when I close/exit that putty terminal, the control in the *.bat file advances to the next one, and so on. Of course, not a desired behavior.

How to change that and send the command into background? Is it a bug, or Windows works like that always?

I am using WinXP pro.
    TCC LE 9.02.152 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Thomas

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That behavior is deliberate, for compatibility -- CMD.EXE works the same way. To start a GUI program within a batch file and then continue to the next line, use the START command.

3. drrob1

drrob1 Guest

AFAIK that is, and has always been, Windows behavior.

FWIW, linux works that way also.

ThomasH wrote: