By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD tcmd.exe crashes and leaves an orphaned tcc.exe process

Running Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with all current patches with TCMD 13.04.55 x64.

The observed behavior is that the TCMD window will vanish. It seems to happen most frequently when I'm minimizing the TCMD window but it can happen at any time. I don't even have to be doing anything in the window. Just this morning the TCMD window was visible on my monitor and I was working in another program when it vanished. I can't replicate this behavior in a reliable way and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the timing of the crash.

Any thoughts on how I might gather more, helpful, information?
Look for a .GPF file in the TCMD installation directory. The list of plugins loaded may also be relevant. Also, update to the current build (which may not help).
No .GPF file and I'm not using any plugins. I just updated to the current build. I've noticed this issue since I updated from version 12 a month or so ago.
The GPF file will not be in your installation directory in Windows 7 (unless you installed to a non-standard location and then told TCMD to put the TCMD.INI file there).

Look in the directory where your TCMD.INI resides (defaults in Win7 to c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\jpsoft -- but you can get the directory by running OPTION and looking at the title).

If you still don't have a TCMD.GPF, then the crash probably isn't in the TCMD code, but rather in a third-party dll that some other app has injected into TCMD. (Usually antivirus apps or screen managers, but it could also be malware.)
Bingo! Here's the .GPF file. From my, admittedly uninformed, reading of it some interaction with Stardock's Windowblinds was at fault. If someone can confirm my interpretation that's easy enough to fix and I can let file a bug report with Stardock.


It does appear to be a Windowblinds issue; there isn't any TCMD code in the stack trace. (Which makes it impossible to trace it back or do anything on this end.)

Tell Stardock I'll be happy to help debug if they need it. I'll see if I can grab a copy of Windowblinds to test.
I submitted the issue to Stardock's technical support. Hopefully they will be in contact. Thank you for the assistance. They might have to provide you with a copy of Windowblinds as I'm running a beta (7.30a) and not the current production release.
[FOX] Ultimate Translator