Upgrade Question

Oct 22, 2008
My company has been using Take Command v8.02 since 2007 and we have been more than satisfied with the product. We bought an Enterprise License and installed TC on all workstations (Windows XP) for use with in-house developed batch applications.

We are now replacing workstations with Windows 7 64bit machines and are having issues with the v8.02 TC product. We would like to upgrade to the latest version of TC for these 64bit machines and have a couple of questions.

1) TC is offered in two different versions (32bit & 64bit), (64bit only). Since our workstations are used primarily for basic business tasks (Microsoft Access, Word, Excel), is there any real advantage going with the TC 64bit only version?

2) Do we qualify for the upgrade price or do we have to pay full price? We have 278 workstations that will eventually be replaced with Windows 7 64bit machines. The Enterprise License we purchased back in 2007 apparently is not offered any longer. Even though it reduced costs for us, the Enterprise License was still expensive and it would be great news if we could obtain the current version at the upgrade pricing.

Thank you,

Mark

edited to add: If this post is in the wrong area, my apologies. If so, would the moderator please move it to the appropriate forum, thanks.

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
  1. I recommend using the 64-bit version of Take Command (& TCC) when using Windows x64. First, it’s a little faster (10-15%) than the 32-bit version. Second, you don’t have to worry about the SYSWOW64 redirection Windows will do behind the scenes when using a 32-bit app (hiding directories, files, and registry trees from you without your knowledge, and making it difficult to find & run 64-bit apps). The only drawback of the 64-bit TC is it will use 1-2 Mb more memory, but I don’t think that’s much of a concern anymore. (And it will still use at least 20x less memory than Word!)
  2. Yes, you definitely qualify for the upgrade pricing. We actually still do have Enterprise licensing, but it’s now oriented towards the 1000+ system users; it will be easier & cheaper for you to order a multi-system upgrade.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oct 22, 2008
  1. I recommend using the 64-bit version of Take Command (& TCC) when using Windows x64. First, it’s a little faster (10-15%) than the 32-bit version. Second, you don’t have to worry about the SYSWOW64 redirection Windows will do behind the scenes when using a 32-bit app (hiding directories, files, and registry trees from you without your knowledge, and making it difficult to find & run 64-bit apps). The only drawback of the 64-bit TC is it will use 1-2 Mb more memory, but I don’t think that’s much of a concern anymore. (And it will still use at least 20x less memory than Word!)
  2. Yes, you definitely qualify for the upgrade pricing. We actually still do have Enterprise licensing, but it’s now oriented towards the 1000+ system users; it will be easier & cheaper for you to order a multi-system upgrade.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Rex,

Thank you for the quick reply. We're going to proceed with the upgrade pricing for the 250+ license on the 64bit version of TC.

Regards,
Mark Campi