Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VIEW only works from command line

Nov
Hello, I am rediscovering TC and TCC after a while away. I think I must be doing something stupid. I can run VIEW from the tcc command line to view a file. But if I try to run it from Tools|View in the menu, a file selection dialog opens but nothing happens when clicking the Open button (or pressing Enter).

Tony

Works here. Maybe a dumb question ... are you selecting a file before Open/Enter?

Yes. I can select using the mouse and double-clicking a filename or I can type the path and filename into the edit control, but still nothing happens when I confirm the dialog box.

TCC (x64) Version 28.00 Build 11 [28.00.11]
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (21H1) [10.0.19043.1110]

I can reproduce this, I'm seeing the exact same thing as the OP.

To answer Rex's questions:
1. The dialog box closes after clicking on Open (or double clicking the filename).
2. The VIEW window doesn't open at all, it's not in the background.
3. The VIEW icon doesn't appear on the taskbar. Also, View doesn't appear in Task Manager.

If I type View Filename at the prompt, it works.
If I just type View at the prompt, the file selection dialog opens and it all works OK.

It's only when selecting View from the TCMD Tools menu that it fails, the selection dialog opens but View doesn't appear after selecting a file.

I've tried renaming my TCSTART and TCMD.INI files, it doesn't fix the issue.

It seems V.exe doesn't like the /tcmd:25 parameter (the TCMD version number?). Via Process Explorer, left is from the Tools menu and doesn't work; V.exe starts and then closes again right away. Right is from the command prompt using VIEW and does work.

1627835976946.png

Hmmm! I have

Code:
Command Line:   v /tcmd:25 V:\agenow.btm

and it works just fine. But ... [see new thread about TCMD hiding itself]

Aha! Now I see. If, at the TCC command line (in TCMD), I

Code:
v /tcmd:NN agenow.btm

where NN = 24, 25, 26, 27, or 28 it works, probably because I have all those installed. But if I use another number, it fails as many have described.

Thank you all for looking into this. If I understand correctly, the View option on the Tools menu must be running a command like the one Vincent posted earlier, but with an invalid NN option. I only have v28 installed. Is that right?

Thank you all for looking into this. If I understand correctly, the View option on the Tools menu must be running a command like the one Vincent posted earlier, but with an invalid NN option. I only have v28 installed. Is that right?
That seems to be the case. The string v /tcmd:25 which appears in TCMD.EXE (v28) has not been updated since v25.