Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installing to a different machine

Nov
When trying to register my TC 12.1 on my new laptop, I get an error saying "All the available licenses have been activated".

Do I need to first unregister it from my old machine? How would I do that?

thanks,
David

> When trying to register my TC 12.1 on my new laptop, I get an error
> saying "All the available licenses have been activated".

You've activated TC on three systems (the maximum allowed for a 1-system
license):

DAVIDEBB-MAIN
DAVIDEBB-NB
DAVID-HP

Let me know which one you're replacing and I'll deactivate it on the
registration server.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Thanks Rex, these are my work & home desktops and my notebook. The notebook (DAVIDEBB-NB) is the one I'm replacing.

Thanks for your help!

I work multiple projects and they frequently have installation requirements that conflict. My solution is virtual machines. I only run one VM at a time, but, it never occurred to me that I should use the same name. Previously, I assumed that as long as I was the sole user I was probably fine. (I did purchase a two system license so that I can install a copy on my Mom's computer because I wrote a script for her to run to backup her computer).

I use Linux at home, but I do run VMs there as well for when I take work home with me (and I develop in Windows). I suppose that my VMs will cause a problem for me.

Any particular advice on how I should operate? I expect that I can typically just give all my VMs the same name since since I almost never run them at the same time, but I expect that even running on a single computer with a single user, I might run into a bit of trouble.

Your setup is similar to mine. You can either use tccle in the vm's, or
for v 13 use the thumbdrive approach. It depends on what functions you
need for your VMs. Some of mine have tccle installed, others I use the
full tcmd.

You may or may not know know that v13 can be copied and run from a
thumbdrive.

On 11/02/2011 02:10 PM, pitonyak wrote:

> I work multiple projects and they frequently have installation requirements that conflict. My solution is virtual machines. I only run one VM at a time, but, it never occurred to me that I should use the same name. Previously, I assumed that as long as I was the sole user I was probably fine. (I did purchase a two system license so that I can install a copy on my Mom's computer because I wrote a script for her to run to backup her computer).
>
> I use Linux at home, but I do run VMs there as well for when I take work home with me (and I develop in Windows). I suppose that my VMs will cause a problem for me.
>
> Any particular advice on how I should operate? I expect that I can typically just give all my VMs the same name since since I almost never run them at the same time, but I expect that even running on a single computer with a single user, I might run into a bit of trouble.

I expected that running from a thumb drive would still cause a problem....

That said, in the VM, a reduced functionality version is likely just fine. I will take a look at the LE version. I never checked the differences between the versions.

I personally do not like "lite" versions. It is like drinking lite beer as opposed to full
strength

: -----Original Message-----
: Subject: RE: [Support-t-3333] Re: Installing to a different machine
:
: I expected that running from a thumb drive would still cause a problem....
:
: That said, in the VM, a reduced functionality version is likely just fine. I will take a
look at the LE
: version. I never checked the differences between the versions.

I have been a looonnnng time user of this product and I just ran into this. It's a Sunday and I am not able to activate it on my new workstation. I just recently replaced both my home system and work system and I now can't activate it. I personally am not a fan of products that do this, exactly because of the situation I am in right now. I now seem to waste more time with licensing/activation issues then with any actual problem with a product.

I have been a looonnnng time user of this product and I just ran into this. It's a Sunday and I am not able to activate it on my new workstation. I just recently replaced both my home system and work system and I now can't activate it.

You have activated your v12 license on three systems:

WS123092
BAMMBAMM
ROCKHEAD

Let me know which one(s) you want to deactivate.

You can deactivate all of them.

What this shows is that I now depend on your company being in business in order to install this on a new machine.

I've deactivated all of your systems.

What this shows is that I now depend on your company being in business in order to install this on a new machine

This doesn't seem like an inordinate burden, given that (1) we let you install a single-system license on three machines; (2) you can install an unlimited number of times on a system provided you don't change the machine name; and (3) nearly every other software company also requires activation (and they *don't* allow multiple activations!).

Oh, and (4) we've been in business for 22 years, so it doesn't seem that you're in immediate peril ...

Thanks.

I just spent about 15 hours installing software on my workstation. I ran into two activation issues. Yours and Corel. Every other application I installed just used the keys I had without requiring activation over the internet.

You must not be using anything from Microsoft (including Windows?), Adobe, nsoftware, TechSmith, CodeJock, Symantec, etc. I have maybe a half-dozen applications out of a couple hundred on my system that *don't* require activation.

(You wouldn't have had any activation issues with TCMD if you hadn't already maxed out your installs, or if you hadn't renamed your systems.)

I started with Windows and Office already installed, but they are company versions that don't require activation. I don't use any products from the other companies you mention. I maxed out my activations because I got new systems that have different names.

Does uninstalling release an activation? Could I have uninstalled it from ws123092 and then activated it on my new work desktop? I hadn't zapped ws123092 yet because I didn't have my new workstation completely set up yet, but I would have formatted the hard disk without uninstalling.

Does uninstalling release an activation?
I'm not planning on doing it since I have everything installed where I want it, but this is a good question.

Uninstalling does not release an activation. We originally did do that, but discovered it caused far more problems than it solved because the vast majority of uninstalls were followed immediately by a reinstall on the same system. (And users did not want to have to keep reentering their registration info -- assuming they could actually find it.)

We even tried adding a "remove registration" button to the OPTION dialog for those rare cases where you really wanted to remove the registration info, and found that users have an unstoppable urge to click buttons without pausing to read them or consider the possible results. We were spending at least 20x more time resending registration info to people who'd clicked the remove button (and couldn't find their original orders & activation keys) than we've spent removing activations on request from the registration server. (Which has never amounted to more than 1 or 2 a week.)

I just bought 2 new machines (Laptop/Desktop) and had to do this for many software products I own, the most user friendly one though was what Nitro Professional (PDF Editor/Viewer) does, they let you de-activate the software back to a trial and then you can re-activate it on another machine, but again they don't have the advantage to use the license on 3 machines like JP Software. I thought it was neat though

Hello JP Software,

I have run into the same problem with reaching the activation limit as I am using TakeCommand for a lot of scripting in compiling and creating installation procedures.

As I have frequently upgraded the development environment and OS Version, I also have quickly reached the limit of activations.

Would it be possible to reset my previous licenses? Now that I am aware of the Computer Name being the "key", I will make sure to use the same name since it's basically the same VM I am reinstalling from time to time.

If I remember correctly, my PC names are:

aeries
Win7Default
???? (Something with Delphi)

Best Regards,

Flemming Sorvin

Thanks a million :)

I will, with the naming policy in mind, make sure to use the same name when reinstalling my VM to avoid registration problems again.

Hi Rex. Can you please tell me which machines I've activated TCMD on, so that I can tell you which to deactivate? Thanks, David Habermehl