1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubles installing build 61

Discussion in 'Support' started by vefatica, Apr 11, 2011.

1. vefatica

This is a new one. I did "UPDATE /U". After pressing the "Install" button I got "Unhandled exception in TCMD.EXE (pid 2348) ... want to debug?". I don't think I got that before. I said "Yes" but nothing interesting came up in the debugger. When I looked, there were **two** TCMD.EXEs running (neither started by me; I haven't run TCMD in a week or two). When I dismissed the debug dialogs, I got a mbox with a a stack trace. At the top was 0x0048A123 (unnamed, in TCMD).

Then UPDATER.EXE told me not everything installed properly.

When it was all over, I **had** (apparently) upgraded to build 61 (all the important files were dated 4/10/2011.

2. vefatica

There's more. This time, I got a new folder (5A60CA4) in profile\...\install (as usual), but in it was not the usual MSI-file, but rather, what looks like an actual installation of b61 (I also have an installation in my specified target (d:\tc12).

And there's a DECODER.DLL file in that profile\...\install directory which I never saw before.

3. vefatica

And there's more. Now, if I run TCMD.EXE, and try to "X" out of it, I get "Windows cannot end ... [caption of hidden TCC]".

And this is after an uninstall/re-install of 12.10 (which went OK).

4. vefatica

That error is consistent. It goes away if I add "/ii" (no ini-file) to TCMD's COMSPEC. I'll email my ini-file to support.

5. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

As I've said for the last few builds, you really need to talk to Microsoft. You have a seriously bent Windows Installer, and there is nothing that I can do about it. There is nothing in the TCMD installation script that creates a directory like that, and nothing called DECODER.DLL.

At the very least, you should reinstall the Windows Installer.

6. vefatica

I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.

7. vefatica

Well, I just updated Windows Installer from v3.01 to v4.5. I'll see how that works.

DECODER.DLL mysteriously disappeared. It's a media decoder. No such file exists anywhere else on this computer. I can only assume it came from the TCMD install ... a mystery for now, I guess.

8. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Not reproducible here.

9. vefatica

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:26:08 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
    |I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.
    |---End Quote---
    |
    |Not reproducible here.

I don't know what else to say. I just repeated that experiment a couple times
    with the same result. And that's after a (rare) reboot. I'll see what WinDbg
    has to say.

10. vefatica

WinDbg showed nothing interesting. Funny ... when I get the "Windows cannot end" dialog, how I respond doesn't matter. Both TCMD and TCC terminate even if I "cancel".

11. vefatica

I emptied the [4NT] section of the inifile of all except "UpdateTitle=No", and
    the [TakeCommand] section of all but "COMSPEC=d:\tc12\tcc.exe /q /ip". When I
    tried to "X" TCMD, I still got "Windows cannot end ...". I also get it if I
    "File\Exit" or "SystemMenu\Close". It does not happen if I change COMSPEC to
    TCC v11 (which also has "UpdateTitle=No").

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:47:31 -0400, vefatica <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
    |On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:26:08 -0400, rconn <> wrote:
    |
    ||---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
    ||I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.
    ||---End Quote---
    ||
    ||Not reproducible here.
    |
    |I don't know what else to say. I just repeated that experiment a couple times
    |with the same result. And that's after a (rare) reboot. I'll see what WinDbg
    |has to say.
    |---End Quote---
    |WinDbg showed nothing interesting. Funny ... when I get the "Windows cannot end" dialog, how I respond doesn't matter. Both TCMD and TCC terminate even if I "cancel".