Troubles installing build 61

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
This is a new one. I did "UPDATE /U". After pressing the "Install" button I got "Unhandled exception in TCMD.EXE (pid 2348) ... want to debug?". I don't think I got that before. I said "Yes" but nothing interesting came up in the debugger. When I looked, there were **two** TCMD.EXEs running (neither started by me; I haven't run TCMD in a week or two). When I dismissed the debug dialogs, I got a mbox with a a stack trace. At the top was 0x0048A123 (unnamed, in TCMD).

Then UPDATER.EXE told me not everything installed properly.

When it was all over, I **had** (apparently) upgraded to build 61 (all the important files were dated 4/10/2011.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
There's more. This time, I got a new folder (5A60CA4) in profile\...\install (as usual), but in it was not the usual MSI-file, but rather, what looks like an actual installation of b61 (I also have an installation in my specified target (d:\tc12).

And there's a DECODER.DLL file in that profile\...\install directory which I never saw before.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
And there's more. Now, if I run TCMD.EXE, and try to "X" out of it, I get "Windows cannot end ... [caption of hidden TCC]".

And this is after an uninstall/re-install of 12.10 (which went OK).

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
And there's more. Now, if I run TCMD.EXE, and try to "X" out of it, I get "Windows cannot end ... [caption of hidden TCC]".

That error is consistent. It goes away if I add "/ii" (no ini-file) to TCMD's COMSPEC. I'll email my ini-file to support.

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
There's more. This time, I got a new folder (5A60CA4) in profile\...\install (as usual), but in it was not the usual MSI-file, but rather, what looks like an actual installation of b61 (I also have an installation in my specified target (d:\tc12).

And there's a DECODER.DLL file in that profile\...\install directory which I never saw before.

As I've said for the last few builds, you really need to talk to Microsoft. You have a seriously bent Windows Installer, and there is nothing that I can do about it. There is nothing in the TCMD installation script that creates a directory like that, and nothing called DECODER.DLL.

At the very least, you should reinstall the Windows Installer.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA

I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
As I've said for the last few builds, you really need to talk to Microsoft. You have a seriously bent Windows Installer, and there is nothing that I can do about it. There is nothing in the TCMD installation script that creates a directory like that, and nothing called DECODER.DLL.

At the very least, you should reinstall the Windows Installer.

Well, I just updated Windows Installer from v3.01 to v4.5. I'll see how that works.

DECODER.DLL mysteriously disappeared. It's a media decoder. No such file exists anywhere else on this computer. I can only assume it came from the TCMD install ... a mystery for now, I guess.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:26:08 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.
|---End Quote---
|
|Not reproducible here.

I don't know what else to say. I just repeated that experiment a couple times
with the same result. And that's after a (rare) reboot. I'll see what WinDbg
has to say.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:26:08 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.
|---End Quote---
|
|Not reproducible here.

I don't know what else to say. I just repeated that experiment a couple times
with the same result. And that's after a (rare) reboot. I'll see what WinDbg
has to say.

WinDbg showed nothing interesting. Funny ... when I get the "Windows cannot end" dialog, how I respond doesn't matter. Both TCMD and TCC terminate even if I "cancel".

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
I emptied the [4NT] section of the inifile of all except "UpdateTitle=No", and
the [TakeCommand] section of all but "COMSPEC=d:\tc12\tcc.exe /q /ip". When I
tried to "X" TCMD, I still got "Windows cannot end ...". I also get it if I
"File\Exit" or "SystemMenu\Close". It does not happen if I change COMSPEC to
TCC v11 (which also has "UpdateTitle=No").

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:47:31 -0400, vefatica <> wrote:

|On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:26:08 -0400, rconn <> wrote:
|
||---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
||I can make that error go away by commenting (;) the INI-file line: "UpdateTitle=No". ... utterly reprodicuble.
||---End Quote---
||
||Not reproducible here.
|
|I don't know what else to say. I just repeated that experiment a couple times
|with the same result. And that's after a (rare) reboot. I'll see what WinDbg
|has to say.
|---End Quote---
|WinDbg showed nothing interesting. Funny ... when I get the "Windows cannot end" dialog, how I respond doesn't matter. Both TCMD and TCC terminate even if I "cancel".