Registration problem on Windows 2003

I have just upgraded my employer's copy of Take Command to v9 (having previously used a mixture of v6 and v7) and have come across what I consider to be a strange registration issue with TC9 installed on a Windows 2003 server, in that the registration process seems to be user-specific.

To be more precise, on Friday I registered TC through the OPTION dialog whilst logged on to one user (which has domain administrator rights) but when a colleague tried to use TC today from a different user (which also has domain administrator rights) he received the dialog to say that the product had expired and was forced to enter the registration details again.

Is this the expected behaviour?? If so, that bugs me a little because I'd like to be able to install the product on the server and not have to worry which user is actually used to run the batch file system that I've created (which is used for mapping EDI messages in real time, so is fairly business critical)
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,345
150
Steve Pitts wrote:

> I have just upgraded my employer's copy of Take Command to v9 (having
> previously used a mixture of v6 and v7) and have come across what I
> consider to be a strange registration issue with TC9 installed on a
> Windows 2003 server, in that the registration process seems to be
> user-specific.
>
> To be more precise, I registered TC through the OPTION dialog whilst
> logged on to one user (which has domain administrator rights) but when a
> colleague tried to use TC from a different user (which also has domain
> administrator rights) he received the dialog to say that the product had
> expired and was forced to enter the registration details again.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour?? If so, that bugs me a little because
> I'd like to be able to install the product on the server and not have to
> worry which user is actually used to run the batch file system that I've
> created (which is used for mapping EDI messages in real time, so is
> fairly business critical)

WAD - for Vista compatibility, the registration had to be changed from
per-machine to per-user.

You can still make it per-machine if you use the inikey version
(ftp://jpsoft.com/tcmd/inikey/takecmd.dll), which uses a file for the
registration information instead of a registry key.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
WAD - for Vista compatibility
{sigh} Ah well. I would have liked to see that made optional (so that anyone that avoids Vista can use HKLM rather than HKCU) but obviously that isn't the route you chose

You can still make it per-machine if you use the inikey version
What are the implications of doing so for updates (especially auto-updates)??
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,345
150
Steve Pitts wrote:

>
> Quote:
> Originally Posted by *rconn* View Post <showthread.php?p=1142#post1142>
> WAD - for Vista compatibility
>
> {sigh} Ah well. I would have liked to see that made optional (so that
> anyone that avoids Vista can use HKLM rather than HKCU) but obviously
> that isn't the route you chose

Not allowed by MS if you want certification.


> Quote:
> Originally Posted by *rconn* View Post <showthread.php?p=1142#post1142>
> You can still make it per-machine if you use the inikey version
>
> What are the implications of doing so for updates (especially
> auto-updates)??

When you do an autoupdate, you'll need to manually copy the inikey
version of takecmd.dll after the update is finished.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Not allowed by MS if you want certification
Like I said - {sigh}

rconn said:
When you do an autoupdate, you'll need to manually copy the inikey version of takecmd.dll after the update is finished
Which I guess is as good as no auto-update at all, since presumably the reinstatement of the original takecmd.dll by the auto-update process then breaks the registration (since the keys won't exist for the indivudual user(s) and therefore the product will magically become unregistered until such time as the inikey version of the DLL is dropped back in).

Ho hum. MS may view this as the way forward but it doesn't seem like progress to me
 
May 20, 2008
3,515
4
Elkridge, MD, USA
Steve Pitts wrote:
| Ho hum. MS may view this as the way forward but it doesn't seem like
| progress to me

It is - toward changing your PERSONAL computer to a Microsoft computer (may
not be good for the users, but good for Redmond).
--
Steve
 
Jun 10, 2008
34
0
Steve Fábián <> wrote:

>
> Steve Pitts wrote:
> | Ho hum. MS may view this as the way forward but it doesn't seem like
> | progress to me
>
> It is - toward changing your PERSONAL computer to a Microsoft computer (may
> not be good for the users, but good for Redmond).

Good for them perhaps in the short run, but with Linux getting more
usable all the time and MS offerings getting worse, MS has to be
careful. This OS business may turn out to be a more non-linear affair
than MS thought. IOW, they could one day fall from a cliff they never
knew existed.

--
cheers thomasl

web: http://thomaslauer.com/start
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jbanaszczyk Registration problem Support 2
nikbackm Registration problem with v15 Support 16
Y Registration problem Support 1
C Registration Support 2
Roedy registration expired Support 2
J Sudden "registration expired" notice Support 27
T Registration crash Support 1
J 4NT V8.02 Registration on SSD Support 2
fishman@panix.com Registration in V17 Support 4
jbanaszczyk registration@jpsoft.com Support 0
D Registration and proxy oddities Support 6
CWBillow Double Registration? Support 1
C registration proboem if no internet access given Support 0
nickles Registration Support 1
rconn News Take Command Registration Server Migration 12/28 Support 3
U Timeout during Registration Support 17
S Registration key not recognized after upgrading to 12.10.63 Support 0
T Registration error Support 3
vefatica 12.10 registration fails Support 3
W 4NT 8.00 Registration Question Support 7
J 4nt 5.0 Registration key won't work Support 6
gschizas Minor (really minor) registration issue Support 0
Dick Johnson Weird Color Problem Support 8
fishman@panix.com Problem with 27.15 Support 2
M Problem with VSDevCmd.bat in VS 16.7.3 Support 0
R Problem with @INT[ value] in V26 Support 9
M Selecting test "off by one" problem in Take command Support 4
Alpengreis UTF-8 problem in TCC related to Python Support 7
K_Meinhard Small problem in german IDE 26 Support 3
B Problem with color in nested shells Support 1
Joe Caverly Problem creating and switching to a DESKTOP Support 9
vefatica Another popup problem Support 10
Alpengreis ffind dialog (/W) problem Support 4
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Small space problem with the DE translation in Prefs-GUI Support 1
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Problem with copy and paste and the # char via mouse in TCC Support 6
A Problem with functions @int @decimal and identifying Powershell as a shell. Support 12
B IF command problem in tcexit.btm Support 9
fishman@panix.com Problem at Startup of TCC Support 3
P Problem with SFTP copies Support 7
P Problem with FTP copies Support 10
Jay Sage Problem with Context Menu Copy+Paste+Run Key Assignment Support 7
R Problem with %_do_loop in nested do loops Support 2
fishman@panix.com New Problem with later Windows 10 Support 10
Peter Murschall A little problem with LEAVE and COMMENT Support 5
M Handling of %~I problem Support 4
WinLanEm FOR problem Support 18
K Problem With SCRPUT /u Support 3
vefatica What's TCMD's problem with ^e[0m? Support 13
Peter Murschall IDE: RTL with non-English resources-problem is back in Build 28 Support 4
rps Regex problem: \xnn not recognized as a hex character Support 0

Similar threads