1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCMD crash in Win7

Discussion in 'Support' started by vefatica, Jul 31, 2011.

1. vefatica

Started TCMD in Win7 ... put "\\lucky\d$" in the location box ... after quite a while "g$(\\lucky)" appeared under "Network" in the folders view (list view empty; 6 seconds; takes Explorer 1 sec to do the same and show the contents) ... X'd TCMD ... crash! (crash report and GPF file below).
    I repeated the experiment several times with the same result.

2. vefatica

Those two reports I posted were not from the same crash. The two below are from the same crash. I also noticed that during the several second wait for the remote share to show up in TCMD's folder view, TCMD turned white and it's caption changed to "Not responging" ... those, just for a half-second or so, then it came back to life.

3. vefatica

This may have little or nothing to do with the remote share. The symptoms are nearly the same as I reported some time ago under Windows XP (when I was told to get a modern OS). Now with Win7, when I "X" TCMD, it takes 4+ seconds for it to disappear from TaskManager. I can correct that in all the ways I could in XP ... "unset titleprompt" before X-ing TCMD ... "title %titleprompt" in TCEXIT ... "UpdateTitle=Yes" ... deleting TCEXIT. If I do any one of those, TCMD disappears from TaskManager immediately.

4. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Not reproducible here.

(And you were told to get a modern OS for a myriad of other reasons, but not this particular one, since nobody else has ever been able to reproduce it!)

But I still don't know why you want to exit TCMD that way, since you're running the risk that any apps in your tab windows are going to be corrupted by your not giving them a chance to shut down on their own.

5. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Not reproducible here (long delay or crash). Is that sharename have a large number of files / directories? (I see about a 1-2 second delay when entering a network sharename.)

Your crash address is in the RTL exit code; possibly a memory corruption.

6. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm rather surprised to see AcXtrnal.DLL; I've never seen it in a TCC process before and I don't know of any reason for it to be there.

7. vefatica

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:22:17 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|I'm rather surprised to see AcXtrnal.DLL; I've never seen it in a TCC process before and I don't know of any reason for it to be there.

Do you know what it is? I find copies of it in windows\apppatch and in several
    windows\winsxs directories. Compatability ...?

8. vefatica

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:22:17 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|I'm rather surprised to see AcXtrnal.DLL; I've never seen it in a TCC process before and I don't know of any reason for it to be there.

It's in the TCMD process, not TCC.